Being a conservationist, I spend a lot of time watching documentaries on how people are taking steps to save our planet. Of all the videos I have seen, the ones with creatures having plastic stuck in their nasal cavities or lungs are the most nerve-racking. It makes me think how we humans are putting the lives of innocent animals in danger because of a single act of carelessness. But, if a single action can cause such trouble, it can also reverse the effect! It can lead to a plastic free ocean.
A single act, a single person, and a single changed behavior is all we need to create plastic-free oceans by 2050. That’s what we aim at Purpose for Earth Foundation.
A study shows that every day around 8 million pieces of plastic make their way into our oceans. A plastic bag, a plastic bottle, or a party balloon may lose its usefulness for us after a couple of days, but an ocean hangs on to these discarded treasures for more than 400 years. That equals 16 generations! Plastic pollution is real, and people need to be educated about its threat to the planet.
- Recycling plastic uses as much fossil fuel as airlines
- 99% of plastics cause climate change
- Plastic pollution puts marine animals under threat.
- More than a million seabirds die every year due to plastic getting lodged in their windpipes.
- We are indirectly ingesting plastic as ¼ of fish have plastic in their guts.
But we can tackle plastic pollution with your help. We believe that by taking one step at a time, you can be the solution to ocean pollution. You can make a big difference by your everyday choices. All we are asking of you is to:
- Pick up the trash you see on the sidewalk.
- Stop using disposable plastic.
- Stop buying bottled water.
- Opt-out for products with natural exfoliants, not microbeads
- Use cloth bags
Every time you choose sustainable options, it is a little victory for the ocean, and together these little victories can have a big impact on the environment.
At Purpose for Earth Foundation, we seek to inspire others to join us through education, awareness, and empowerment. Help us change the plastic ocean into the vibrant and full of life place it is supposed to be. Donate to us, help us spread our message, and become an ocean warrior! Together for clean oceans!